Thursday, April 4, 2013

Walking in Zumbrota

I've been anxiously waiting for April 1 to come along, for most of the Volksmarches in Minnesota begin on that date. Yesterday I took off for Zumbrota.


Zumbrota is located just a bit more than an hour away from where I live. It is a small town with about 3200 residents. According to the Wikipedia site for this town, the name comes from a combination of the French words for Obstruction River paired with a Dakota Indian word for village, torj. Anyway, it's truly the only Zumbrota in the world. And excellent for Z in my Walking the USA and Walking MN record books.

The walking route begins at the Public Library and then one continues to the nearby Covered Bridge.

 This is the last covered bridge in Minnesota. It is functional now only for bike and foot traffic, but is a very stable structure and the picture below shows.

Next the route map directed one to the bike trail along the river. However, the late spring prevented that plan!

I walked paths and drives parallel to the bike trail as much as I could. The weather was pleasant and it was indeed nice to get outdoors and walk.

The route map I had said I should eventually come out in a residential area. Well, I did, just not certain I was in the right place. I used the GPS map on my phone to get me from where I was to where I should be.

The rest of the walk went quickly. I went by the Carnegie Library building.

This area is now used for arts and concert activities.

Nearby is an old theater.

This theater is also used for the many arts activities that take place in this town.

I also went by the Congregational Church. This church was built in 1861 and has been in continuous use since then. It is now within the National Register of Historic Places.



It was fun to see this town, one I've driven by many times. And it was good to get outdoors again. I live by river trails, but it was fun to see some new sights.

No comments: