Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Trying to Find Spring

Here's what I woke up to this morning.

It's beautiful, but it's also April 23. Enough already!

This helps readers understand why I went looking for spring by driving a bit further south.

Last November I also did this when the weather was warmer and did a walk in Des Moines. I had planned to also do the West Des Moines walk the next day, but winter arrived. I though a warmer day another time would be much better idea. I'm so glad I waited, for this walk didn't turn out to be what I expected. It would have been a miserable experience on a cold November day.

This walk is also named Valley Junction and I expected the route would take me through an interesting shopping area. Instead I did 10 K in residential areas, housing that appeared to be built post World War II lacking any kind of interesting architecture.

What helped a bit were surprises I found in a couple of yards. Somewhere beyond the 5K point these wooden sculptures surprised me.

These are both made from wood, obviously a very talented person did these. There were not any signs to explain anything about the objects.

While I was not enjoying scenic sights along this walk, I did find green grass and flowers.

I could have been home in the snow. Instead I added another 10 K to my distance records and added W to the Walking the USA book.

No comments: