Sunday, June 16, 2013

Garden Dedication

On Friday afternoon I attended a dedication of a new garden space at Metropolitan State. There has been an unused space next to the library ever since its construction. On Friday this beautiful garden is in place, but with a somewhat sad reason. It is a memorial to the library dean, very beloved and respected by all. He became ill at work one day and in 2012 died from brain cancer. He loved gardens and he promoted community connections, so this garden seemed to be a lovely way to use the space to remember and salute David Barton's legacy.

My colleagues in the School of Nursing have also been interested in creating a labyrinth. This, too, is part of this new space.

I donated money to support tree planting. Here is the sign by my "tree."

Hard to take the above photo in the glaring sun -- but I'm not complaining. The sun has been a quite missing feature of this spring and early summer.

And finally the ribbon cutting.

The wet spring made it quite a challenge to get this garden planted. I'm looking forward to seeing how the plants, trees, and flowers look when I return from Poland in the late summer.

No comments: