Sunday, June 1, 2008

Definitely Adventures Here

I have two experiences that show just how diverse Minnesota and Saint Paul is becoming. Last Friday evening I stopped at a nearby grocery store for a few items. Most of the other customers checking out were young Hasidic men wearing traditional dress. The check out persons were one Caucasian, One Asian, and one African American. Looking about I saw customers of many other racial origins including one woman, wearing a tank top, who had an artificial arm. Maybe the best of this whole experience is that no longer do persons with a disability need to hide in public.

Coming home just a few minutes ago,I saw the wonderful combination of a Little League Team all decked out in their uniforms, getting ready to play a game in the nearby park, all mixed up with persons of Asian Indian origin all decked out in clothing that would have not been noticed in New Delhi. They were just leaving an ethnic church service held at the nearby Catholic Church. I've been seeing them for about the last six months every Sunday. Part of me wonders, though, if these are the Asian Indians from Guyana who have recently immigrated into the Twin Cities. I had one student from this community in my spring semester class.

No comments: