Thursday, April 14, 2011

Misadventure

The day started out so well. I had to go to a meeting in Minneapolis and this got me into areas I've not seen for awhile. Good news, spring flowers are beginning to emerge.

On the way back I decided to stop at Target and pick up some supplies I needed to get a presentation together for the American Corner Pecs English Conversational Circle I will do. I grabbed my wallet out of my briefcase, not wanting to carry everything. I had it on my mind to be very careful with the wallet while in the store -- and then after when I was ready to head for check out, I realized that somewhere in the last 5 minutes the wallet had disappeared. I asked for security and made a report. Then I headed to the credit union and got my credit and debit card shut off. [Here's a good place to report how glad I am to do financial business with a credit union rather than a bank.]

I came home and changed into clothing that was warmer and headed off walking to the closest place to do something about my driver's license. The distance isn't so far, but I live along the river and the whole downtown area is up on the bluff. Normally I would go down to the parking ramp at the Science Museum and take the elevator up. I couldn't tell for certain if this area was open or closed by the river flood. For sure, I could see there was a lot of construction equipment in the area. So I trudged up the hill. A 30 minute walk got me to the right place. I was out with my replacement license in about 10 minutes and $13.50 poorer. Thankfully, I had gotten some cash at the credit union.

Tried to find something to eat since it was now about 4:00 PM and I hadn't had lunch yet. The places to eat in this area serve the working population and are quite shut down by late afternoon, but Caribou Coffee could make a Northern Lite Cooler. Eventually I started the walk back to my apartment.

I cut through Rice Park. The flat light was good for  photography.

Poland has Chopin; St. Paul has Schroeder
Cut across the street to the Science Museum Plaza to see the river from that perspective.

This view also shows the difference in height between the downtown area and the riverfront. It's a good climb up.
Notice the fence in the water. The river is still at high flood stage.


Surely one can assume the light doesn't belong in the river.



It seemed really strange not to be able to walk on my favorite trail back to my building. It will be awhile yet.

Found a goose obeying the rule of not swimming beyond the ropes!

My daughter says the wallet episode is a minor distraction. Certainly it is not the worst thing that has ever happened. As I was walking I thought about my upcoming international travel. It is good to be reminded that misfortune happens at home, too.

No comments: