Friday, July 15, 2011

Blue Day

Yesterday my granddaughter and I flew from Budapest to Warsaw. We had a 2 hour layover in the Prague airport.

Here is my granddaughter just relaxing after we had a sandwich. in the Prague airport. And she thought for once there should be a picture of grandma-- often I have nothing to prove I'm really in Europe and perhaps the picture at the left doesn't prove that either. 
 Here is Naj while we are the gate waiting to board. Notice how she has found out how to keep her Ipod Nano charged while in transit. 
We got to Warsaw, checked into our hotel and my granddaughter begged again to go home. Not that she wasn't enjoying herself, but July 15 had been her first planned day of return and she was anxious to get home to see her friends -- there is nothing more important when one is this age. 
She sent her mom a message on Facebook about this idea. Meanwhile we walked to a nearby shopping center for of course more shopping and also had an early evening meal. 

By the time we reached Warsaw sunset we had her a reservation home for July 15. 

So this morning I took her to airport and she took LOT 1 to Chicago. As I write she is just about to land, and now the fun begins-- can United manage to fly the connecting flight for the last hour to Minnesota? (Addendum: Hurrah! A few hours later after writing this original entry I got the message that she arrived in Minnesota without any difficulty.)

It really seems strange to be alone again. I almost cried when I hugged her good-bye. She begged me not to cry or she would too. 

The weather outside seems to match my mood. 

Now for the other Blue Story. This afternoon, I took a taxi to the Blue City Shopping Center. What fun! 
This is a beautiful place, very modern.
TK Maxx takes up one concourse area. In the states this is called TJ Maxx. I have no idea why a change in one letter for the Poland store. In fact, it took me an hour to notice there was a K rather than a J in the name. This is most definitely a TJ Maxx store -- layout and products same as in the states. However, the products have some different origin. For example, I picked up a bath towel with an interesting print and found on the label that is had been made in The Netherlands. I tried Google for an answer and found TK is the version also in the UK. Maybe that's where the European version started. TK in the UK is a bit catchy! Much better than TJ in the UK.

I went here not to shop, although I did find some lovely jewelry. I went here to meet my first Polish student, Bartek and his wife and little son. We met at the children's play area because that was an easily identified place from reading the web site. Then we had a lovely evening meal. Afterwards we went to a nearby park to let the little one play. 

This little one is surely going to keep his parents busy. He is 18 months old and already quite an athlete. He does, however, seem to have a bit of sense of when he is getting himself into trouble and pulls back a bit from danger. He also could find every mud puddle around the park left by the recent rains!

I enjoyed seeing the park and visiting with my friends. What a lovely evening.




No comments: