Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Language Camp 2

I have begin the second language camp for this summer and it's my 12th language camp in Poland. (I've done three school programs here, so I'm on my 15th Poland program.).

I have a class of students who are primarily 10 years old, 5 boys and 5 girls. I'm just beginning to know their personalities and abilities. However, teaching in challenging, because I'm beginning to see the effect of Poland having English language classes earlier in elementary school and the students are coming to us at a higher level, and it takes much longer to prepare lessons.

Last evening was to be karaoke night, but the microphones were not working right, so the camp director took this chance to start the preparation for Polish night later this week by teaching the kids the national Polish dance. It was fun watching the expressions on the faces of the boys when they realized they had to hold a girl's hand.  Least a reader misunderstand -- they were not happy. Girls are still ugh to most boys of this age group.



Today after teaching the 4 classes, we went into Siedlce to meet with the deputy governor for the county. The County of Siedlce is the official host for our Global Volunteer program. Here is a photos from that event.

I am second from the left and the Deputy Governor is 4th from the right, wearing a green suit.

After the visit here we did a bit of walking tour of Siedlce. Here is picture from the oldest church in the city.

This evening the camp activity was initiation of the new campers. They had to take off their shoes and then put on a blind fold. Their first task was to stick their hand into a pan of water and then remove a pine cone. Secondly, they had to walk along a path of pine cones, finally reach a king and queen. They had to kiss the queen's ring and then take a spoonful of medicine, which I found was raspberry juice. Here's a video that shows some of this fun:

No comments: