Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Morning Walk in Budapest

I have never been to Szabadsag Ter in Budapest. My understanding is that Szabadsag translates to freedom or independence and nearly every Hungarian city has a street or square that contains this word.

My interest in getting there now is that the U.S. Embassy in Hungary recently posted some pictures of a new monument in this Ter on Facebook. So I took off a bit after 7:30 and arrived there around 8:00. I immediately felt like I had found a typical Hungarian place for everywhere I looked there was beauty.  In front of me was a beautiful building.
And behind me was a typical beautiful Hungarian door.

My major reason for going here was to see a new monument to Ronald Reagan. I was surprised to find it as a full figure for the Facebook picture had led me to think it was a bust.
Nearby is a kiosk from which one can get information.
It is clear that Central Europeans give Reagan a great deal of credit for their ability to break away from the Soviet bloc. When I mentioned this monument while yet in Poland, I received this comment: "Oh yes, he was very helpful to Poland, too." It is hard now to look back at the time of 1989 and remember just what all happened that ended up changing the world.

In the Ter I also found a monument to Harry Hill.
I had to come back and look him up. Hill was the Commander of U.S. forces in Hungary after the close of  WWI. He is credited from preventing the Romanians from arresting the Hungarian prime minister and also credited with saving the holdings of the Hungarian National Museum from being removed to Romania.

A very nice morning walk.

No comments: