Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Weekend Adventures

It's Tuesday already and I'm just catching up with the weekend adventures. On Saturday we left at 9 AM for Kazimierz Dolny. This is one of my favorite places. I was looking forward to walking around the rynek and having a drink of something in a sidewalk cafe. Instead when we got there the bus kept going and took us for a walk in a ravine.

This may be interesting but definitely isn't as high on my list as enjoying a time in a sidewalk cafe. When we returned to the rynek we had only 20 minutes there. Then we went for boat ride on the Wisla. I did enjoy that. It was very relaxing and I've never before had a chance to take a ride on the Wisla.

On Sunday three of us took a day trip to Warsaw. We had to take the train to Warsaw Centralna because of track repair being done on the tracks in the smaller stations. People often complain that this train station is not very attractive. Right now it is under significant renovation. One of the signs that really amused me is this:
Once inside one stall I found the wall painted with a huge graphic of a mouth.

 I could not get far enough away in such a small area to take a  photo of the whole thing. And I think it's the first time I've ever taken a photo inside a toilet stall. On the other hand, this may be the first time I've ever found anything worth a picture inside a toilet stall!


Our goal was to start with the film about the Warsaw Uprising shown every day at the history museum in the Rynek. However, when we got there we found the building was closed for renovation. Many areas are being renovated in anticipation of Euro 2012.

Instead we walked to the monument honoring the children who fought in the Uprising. Then we headed back to the Royal Castle. On the way I found an interesting clock:

I really enjoyed seeing the Royal Castle. It is has been 7 years since I have visited it. I don't know if I'm remember wrong or if more has been added. I remember the rooms as being somewhat empty, and that is not the case now.
Above is a photo of the Great Hall. And below is one of the King's bedchamber.

After our visit to the Castle we stopped for lunch in a sidewalk cafe in the Rynek. Then we headed for the Tomb on the Unknown Soldier. From there it was time to return to Warsaw Centralna and our train ride back to the Kotun. We got sprinkled on a bit as we left lunch, but the rain quickly stopped. However, it began again while we were in transit. We got soaked to the skin in the short walk between the train and the van that came to get us. I'm not certain I get that wet in the shower!  Very nice weekend!

No comments: