Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lazy Saturday

By the time I went to bed on Friday night I knew that one of our volunteers coming to Poland was having flight problems. She couldn't get out of MSP due to severe thunderstorms and so was on the 9:50 PM flight from Chicago rather than the 5:00 PM flight. That meant she would be arriving in Warsaw in the mid-afternoon rather than the early morning and so I didn't have to be up early to meet the plane.

However, I woke up with the sunrise about 4:30, went to the computer and found my granddaughter had arrived back in Minnesota safely. Waking up like this is one of usual patterns, so often I go back to sleep for the "second shift." I woke up again around 9 and got organized enough to go have the wonderful breakfast that is served at Hotel Jan Sobieski.

Went upstairs to my room and began to think about how I'd get here next year when my arrival would coincide with Euro 2012, not a good time to find a hotel room in Warsaw for adjusting to Europe time before starting the language camps. Did some dreaming and exploring on the Internet about coming through Iceland again, and this time spending a few days there.

Checked out of the hotel and wandered down the street to a Rossman to look again for the lotion that my granddaughter discovered here in Europe and said, "Could you bring me 100 bottles so I have enough to last me until the next time  you go to Poland?" We had purchased three bottles of this lotion at this store on Thursday night and the shelf was still empty for this one on Saturday morning. I'll have to keep looking for a few more bottles to bring back.


I then stopped at a Coffee Heaven and got a cappuccino and enjoyed reading a book and drinking coffee for about an  hour. Then I went back to the hotel to be more on hand for being picked up for the ride to Reymontowka.


I went into the Hotel garden. What a little jewel in the city.

Found a shady bench and continued with my nose in a book. I think this is about the first lazy Saturday I've had since some time on April. When the message came that Mary's plane had landed (and I love having a Polish phone so I can text) I went back into the hotel and got my baggage out of storage and waited for the van to arrive.

We had a slow trip from Warsaw due to heavy traffic and road construction.

Upon our arrival we were greeted with the salt and bread ceremony.
We sat down to an evening meal almost immediately, but then quickly got up when we heard the Polannaise being played as part of a wedding going on here.




We enjoyed watching the reception line through our dining room window.

I toured the new volunteers around Reymontowka and then Mary and I went for a walk along the country roads. A perfect lazy Saturday.

No comments: