Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting Things Fixed

Yesterday I wrote about my delight to have the printer in my office working again. Today I went over to the office and printed out articles to give to graduate students next week who are very much interested in the magnet hospital movement. They explained to me it is both very difficult and very expensive to get English language articles, so I'm delighted to be able to help in this way. I can use my university databases to search for materials and the only cost is the paper to print out the articles.

Other things got fixed this week, too. Ever since I've lived in the flat here in Pecs, the lock on the door that opens from the street has been a challenge. I came back each time wondering if I could get in, and sometimes had to ring another flat for someone to help me. I realized I was avoiding going out once I came back from my teaching assignments so I didn't have to inconvenience someone. Then this week the locksmith came and installed a new lock, and now it works like butter. What joy!

Also, it wasn't a big deal, but to run the washing machine I had to go under the sink, move out the trash can, unplug the refrigerator and then plug in the washing machine. A couple of times I forgot for a couple of hours to reverse the procedure. This week a double plug became available and now both appliances can be plugged in all the time. Now all I have to do to use the washing machine is push start. It suddenly seems like a great luxury!

Walking over to the Arkade after the time in the office I came across two men changing the flags. I decided this was definitely a sign of spring even if there was snow on the ground. Flag changing is a unique kind of spring cleaning.

From the right the flags are the Pecs city flag, then the Hungarian flag and then the EU flag. The green flag on the left remains a mystery. It simply wouldn't blow out in the wind for me to read the writing on the flag.

By late afternoon a lot of the snow has melted and warm temperatures are forecast for next week. Let's hope so.

No comments: