Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Getting a Bit Back on Track

I have recovered Photoshop and so can work with photos again to make the blog a bit more interesting. I'm starting with food.

In my flat I have a two burner stove, no oven, no microwave (yes, Hungarian kitchens do have microwaves, but since this flat is usually rented for just a few nights, no microwave here. When the weather gets warmer, I'll put the blender to good use though making summer drinks.) With limited cooking facilities, I have to get creative. I cooked the chicken and then cut it up into small pieces. I've put together a sort of stir fry with potatoes, red pepper, and chicken pieces.

This particular meal also had carrots. It is satisfying to think I can come up with something not too bad, and it's all from farmers' gardens/fields in Hungary, too, as the food all came from the market.

I've begun to think Hungarians really like dessert. I find all sorts of prepared things in the supermarket. Don't recall seeing similar things in other places, but perhaps I simply didn't shop enough. The pictured dessert is quite special. It is small sponge cakes that are soaked in flavoring or liquors. Then whipped cream and chocolate is used to fill the spaces between the cakes. I've had this in restaurants, too. It is more than yummy.

Work continues on the renovation of Szechenyi Ter. As the above picture shows there is still plenty of work to do.

Yesterday I had time to duck into a museum to see an exhibit of the work of the four-generation Zsolany family. I got in for free because the young woman at the desk handed me back my money and said, "You must be a senior. You get in for free."

The work includes paintings. Florals and portraits seemed to be a great favorite of all generations. I particlarly liked one that seemed to be a river scene with barges. It made me think perhaps of the Danube at Mochas. And obviously it made me think of the Mississippi, too.

One branch of the family ended up in the United States and did a lot of workwith statues and commerative plaques in the southern states. The above is a photo of a monument done in honoring of opening the west. This monument is in St. Louis.

Today I walked over to Immigration and got my official residence permit. This form is glued into my passport, so I don't have to worry about losing a piece of paper. Glad to have this done.

So that's what has been happening in Pecs. Now I have to roll up my sleeves and see what I can do to restore my Microsoft Office suite. I'm supposed to have a Powerpoint ready for Monday. I tried to do this on the office computer, but I simply can't do Powerpoint with Hungarian menus! Tried to see what is available in MediaMart at the Arkade, but everything there would yield Hungarian menus, too. That simply won't work!

Update: I have my Microsoft Office suite back. On the first Global Volunteers trip, the team leader helped us learn the difference between a problem and an inconvenience. I have never forgot that lesson. What happened was an inconvenience. Real problems can't be solved, or at least not solved easily, with a bit of time and money!




No comments: