Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chestnuts Roasting on the Open Fire

I got up about 7 AM and started working on a Powerpoint presentation for next week. Sometime later I looked out the window and was so disappointed when I saw snow again. I called up Europe radar and found there isn't warm air anyplace. Even the northern shore of Africa is only showing temperatures of about 45 degrees. This type of weather is not unusual for Minnesota, but the people of Pecs are really tired of winter. This is the week that the almond tree festival is held because usually the almond trees are blooming!

I went for my Hungarian lesson and then went to the Arkade to do some shopping associated with the Metropolitan State students coming tomorrow. One can always do a sidetrack however. I ended up buying a ring for a whole $5.00. I headed back to my flat to leave the groceries.

My next stop was at American Corner. The U.S. Embassy had staff there today and I wanted to know what will be done for us regarding the census. The answer -- nothing, the U.S. government is not going to count "expats." Well, I didn't think I was an expat. The Embassy officer didn't sound happy with this answer from Washington either. Somewhere in this conversation, I thanked him for his time. He told me I wasn't a typical American, because I was satisfied with getting information, rather than getting the answer that I wanted. I explained I had lived in Europe 15 out of the last 33 weeks, so perhaps I'm not a normal American!

At the corner I found some guys with a bad job today.
A couple of weeks ago, the workers were in shirt sleeves enjoying the spring weather as they worked.

I went to the hair salon and it turns out to be a wonderful experience. First, it is a lovely space, done in a modern, minimalist way. Someone helps you hang up your coat -- this is Hungary after all. Then I was seated and asked for what kind of beverage I would like. One young woman who spoke some English put the color on, I wondered how it would turn out for the process looked very different. Then I was turned over to another person to cut my hair. By then I could see the color and it was just fine. Translation for all this done by the young woman who acted as the receptionist. She explained to me she had lived in England for awhile and spoke excellent English.  She and the person cutting my hair starting a conversation in Hungarian and then stopped and apologized to me for that! I told them I had been in Europe enough not to be at all upset when I didn't know what was being said. I ended up with a hair cut that I really like, sort of what I've been trying to get my Minnesota hair dresser to do. I was trying to figure out how I could explain the need to get out the thinning shears, when the hair dresser got them out. She truly knows what she is doing. This was not inexpensive, cost about the same as in Minnesota, but worth every penny.

Came home and opened up the chestnuts. This seemed to be the day for this.
I can't quite decide if I like chestnuts this way. However, if one doesn't ever try something new, one doesn't know if the decision will be yes or no. Gesztenye is the Hungarian word for chestnut, not a brand name. I did, however, very much like a chestnut puree dessert we had in Parkany last Friday. That was exquisite.

For supper, I made gulyasleves for the first time, made from a mix, that's about all I can do with my two burner gas stove.


No comments: