Monday, March 8, 2010

Day with Students

My university now has a group of students in Hungary. I met them  and the faculty with them Saturday at breakfast at their hostel. We traveled together on the Metro to meet the guide organized to work with the group and spent the day doing an overview of Budapest. We started out on the Pest side of Danube for a bit and then took the Metro over to the Opera and then up to Szechenyi Baths.

Here are the students overwhelmed at the decoration inside the lobby of the Szechenyi bathhouse. We viewed other things in the City Park and then went to Heros Square.
One of the students said to me, "At first I couldn't believe I was really coming on this trip. Now I can't believe I'm here."

We hopped the Metro again and then took a bus to finish the trip to Castle Hill.








There we found this fine view from the Fishermen's Bastion. We explored more of the Castle Hill area and then took the bus down the hill, took two trams (we made good  use of the Metro passes and never lost anyone!)and then arrived a the Market. By this point in my stay, shopping has lost its attraction -- it's become a task, not recreation. I took off to do some exploring on my own and then have a bit of a rest.

I joined the group again for a very nice, relaxed dinner. Looking forward to seeing the group in Pecs on Thursday.

Sunday morning -- finally a time of relaxation and moving slow. I took the train back to Pecs at 11:45, stopped for a great Sunday lunch, and then crashed at my flat.

No comments: