Friday, December 7, 2012

A Salute to Public Employees

It has become quite popular to bash public employees, and since I've been one for my whole career in a variety of jobs, I'm a bit sensitive about that. But this isn't about me. This is about what I observed today.

I was driving down Jackson Street in Saint Paul about noon, towards the river. I had to pull over for an ambulance. When I got to the bottom of hill, I found a two car head-on accident there, cars on the median and a stop light crashed down on the ground. The ambulance pulled up there, having been called obviously by the fire-fighters who were crawling all over the two cars. (And so yes, there was also a fire truck there.) In Saint Paul nearly every fire-fighter is also an EMT.

I was able to turn right and continue on home. Four hours later I was on my way to my daughter's apartment and arrived at the same intersection. The stoplight was restored and there was absolutely no sign there had been a car crash there -- no glass on the road, nothing!

All of this fine work was done by public employees!

No comments: