Tuesday, May 7, 2013

From Saint Paul to Sioux City

Yesterday I took an afternoon drive from Saint Paul to Sioux City, Iowa. I didn't see any snow, but many places there is a lot of standing water in the ditches, probably left there from recent snow melts.

Agriculture is very delayed. In the long drive I saw only two farmers out in the fields doing anything, and those were on the Iowa/Minnesota border.

While driving my phone told me I had mail and wondering if I was hearing from a student in a panic. So I stopped at a rest stop along Highway 60. Yes, a student was in a panic, but later when I opened up the computer I found she had done the assignment she thought she had missed.

At this rest stop I spent a bit of time enjoying the birds at the bird feeder.


Miles down the road red train engines caught my eye. I double-backed through the side streets of the little town of Hinton, IA to take this photo.

Really sharp looking!

Many things in this part of the state carry the name, Floyd. Floyd was the quartermaster of the Lewis and Clark expedition. He died in August, 1084 in this area, the only member of the group to die during the expedition. It is now believed he had a ruptured appendix, a health condition that defied treatment on top of bluff over the Missouri River in 1804.

Now the next story will be a 10K walk in this area.

1 comment:

Southern Lady said...

Hi, Lori ... Just a note to thank you for visiting my Southern Lagniappe blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. I'm so glad it led me to your Adventures Here and There.

I read a couple of your posts and have added you to my "Favorite Places to Visit" list. I've never had the opportunity to visit the Midwest, and look forward to reading more of your "adventures" and seeing pictures of the area.