Sunday, May 5, 2013

Spring Maybe?

Today was a big music Sunday at my church. I'm on the support team for the music program so I was one of the volunteers that prepared snacks for the choirs to enjoy in the break between the 9:00 and 11:00 services. I usually go to the 4:30, but stayed for the 11:00 since I was there. Then home for a light lunch and little nap since I had awakened at 5:30 AM this morning.

This afternoon is quiet and beautiful, so I took a little walk along the river to try to determine the river depth. (I had on flip-flops finally -- called klopki in Polish -- love that word, it's just how they sound.)  After the drought of last summer the river has been really, really low.

The first thing I noticed is that pleasure boats are out. Maybe they've been there before but this is the first time I've seen them this spring. Their use of the river is a bit restricted right now, however, because Lock #1 is closed due to fast river current.


The footing on the High Bridge has markers on it to tell boat captains the clearance between the river level and the arch on the High Bridge. Today I could see the river is finally at "normal" level.

During the floods of 2010 and 2011 these supports were totally submerged with the river being 15 feet higher than it is today.

Walked back along the sidewalk to the front of my building. Here's a view of the spring flowers.

For several days this week these have been covered up with a blanket as we endured the last cold days of winter -- hopefully!




No comments: