Thursday, December 5, 2013

Good things on the Internet

In the past two days I've found myself using or learning about some good Internet resources.

First I tutor math at an elementary school and that program uses Xtramath for program. It was new to me when I started this experience. This can be used by schools or can also be used by parents at home. And kids seem to find it fun. Amazingly, this was put together primarily by volunteers.

Then last evening at a church meeting I learned about VoteSmart. This is almost done by volunteers, too. The primary staff are young adults who work for not much more than minimum wage for two years, supplemented by college age interns who work for only room and board, if I understand correctly. This is a good web site to explore and learn about those who hold political office or are candidates for office.

And then today I attended a lecture at Metropolitan State University about the holocaust presented by Fred Amram, a professor emeritus from the University of Minnesota. Professor Amram was born in Hanover, Germany in 1933 in a Catholic Children's Home. His family is Jewish and when he was born Jewish parents were forbidden to deliver a child in any hospital in Hanover, so the Catholic sisters who ran the Children's Home made that site available to Jewish parents. His whole presentation is quite powerful. He explained he does this type of presentation to give voice to those who died. Look at his web site for more information.

Wow, it's amazing what one can find on the internet these days!

No comments: