Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Two Days' Teaching Adventures

I have a class of 3 boys and 5 girls. They are all from Siedlce, but go to different elementary schools, so they don't really know each other, but are beginning to be good friends. They know a lot of words, but don't know what to do with them. They also know some things by rote, but don't know what to do with that knowledge in an original fashion. We are working on becoming solid on the names of the days of the week and the months of the year, but in doing worksheets about that I discovered they didn't know the concepts of before and after. So that will be something to work on. Today I started to do the hangman game, and while they can sing the alphabet song, when they name letters they are still using the Polish alphabet, so we are now working on English pronounciation for the letters. They are a handful, but delightful kids.

Last evening was charades night, and of course volunteers were asked to participate. The charades thankfully were one word and I got lucky, drawing swimming, so I didn't have to make a fool of myself for too long.

This afternoon we went into Siedlce and met with the county governor for awhile. He is the "official" host. He is always most gracious to us. We did a bit of shopping afterwards. I renewed my supply of my favorite Polish candy, and also got some laundry detergent, so I can finally do laundry in the washing machine. After three weeks of travel, I'm looking forward to the washing machine!

This evening I took a walk up the road to see a horse stable operation that simply wasn't there when I spent a month on this road last year.

No comments: