Sunday, July 6, 2008

Weekend Adventures

Yesterday, Saturday, 5 of us joined the students in a visit to Krakow. I, frankly, got more than I wished. Something got lost in the translation. I thought we were going to do a tour of the Wawel Castle and Cathedral at some point in the day and have free time the rest of the day. Instead a very pedantic guide met our bus and proceeded to give us the tour of everything! We started at 10:50 and went until 4:00 PM without more than a 30 second break. By the time we got to the Castle most of us were frankly too tired to appreciate it. I'm so glad I have done this before. And when I did before what we did in those hours, I spread out over two days so I could enjoy everything rather than feeling force marched. We arrived back about 7 PM meeting up with other volunteers who had gone to Auschwitz on Saturday. Fell into bed and slept hard after climbing bell towers and then down in to burial crepts and all sorts of points in between. I must say I was impressed with the good manners and grace of the students throughout this experience. There was no complaining and they did their best to translate for us.

This morning Sunday I took the funicular up Mt. Gulbawovka (spelled phonetically, but there were still some rural homes and haystacks. . It is much more commercial than I remembered, but the view of the mountain ranges are still there. Back for the mid day meal and then I walked with one of the other volunteers back to Krupowki Street to sidewalk cafe where we sat for a good 45 minutes just people watching. Now we whiz into the 2nd week.

No comments: