Thursday, February 17, 2011

What a Difference a Week Makes

In the past few days we've finally had warm weather, up to almost 50 degrees, and that is nearly 60 degrees warmer than when I took photos last week. This will not last, and more snow is fore casted for Monday, but the warm weather did help to melt some of the snow so that water is already making its way down the river and won't be contributing to flood waters later this spring.

Here's the photo I took of the walkway about the cyber cafe in my building last week:
Walkway on February 10

Here's how it was yesterday:
Walkway on February 16
 Notice that the snow has melted enough a bit of grass is showing. Continuing down the walk we find a view of the Mississippi River.

After weeks of weather lacking any temperature above freezing, this is how the river appeared.

High Bridge View on February 10

 Here's the present view:
High Bridge View on February 16

 I continued on my walk to match other photos from last week. Here's how the new observation deck looked last week:
Observation Deck on February 10

 I took the photo yesterday from a different view point. When I got to this point in my walk, I realized I had forgotten about the large rocks that had been placed there -- probably can make a seat to sit, but also prevent someone's car from driving down the street and right into the river. The stones were covered with snow for so long, I forgot them.

Observation Deck on February 16

I kept walking because the weather was so lovely, and took this following picture of the Showboat across the river.

University of Minnesota Showboat
Last summer when my friends and I went to a Showboat performance, the weather was so warm we could hardly manage just to sit quietly on a park bench waiting for the Showboat to open!We were so very, very hot!


 The weather was so lovely that I continued on my walk to the fountain. It surely looks like winter. The fountain has been off since the time of the fall floods. It will really feel like spring when I walk down the trail some evening and find the water running again.

Walking back towards my apartment I found another river ---

The above is usually known as a corner! This time of year, though, water can puddle most any where.

Today I took a photo from the 3rd floor of the New Main building at my university. It shows the ugliness of winter when the snow begins to disappear!

 Notice how hazy it is in distance. All the moisture from the melting snow made a great fog today.

But by the time I was ready to come home, the sun was out, making the world look much better. This photo you've seen before. It is of the developing park area in front of my building. I thought this would be a good place to watch for spring as well.


I have not been walking much in the cold weather. I woke up this morning really stiff from the walk. Obviously I needed to do it. Perhaps it was the shoes I wore. Anyway, I'm looking forward to more pleasant weather.

Update: The weather service reports that because there is rapid cooling coming behind this snow melt the water will not reach the rivers and start to flow south. So the probability of floods continues to build. 

No comments: