Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

This morning I walked through Szechenyi Ter on the way to my Hungarian lesson. I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked as if someone was setting up a sidewalk cafe. When I came back about 2 hours later people were sitting at tables with drinks. I couldn't figure this out for there were no restaurants in the area that could be serving these tables. Then when I walked a bit more I realized this was a photo shoot. There was a woman all dressed up -- you will see her below, with a baguette under her chin and she was pretending to use it like a violin.

I came home to my flat and then walked back about 2 hours later for another meeting. The tables were totally gone! However, the Ter had a nice look to it.

After the meeting I passed through this area again and this time noticed a crowd down by the Zsolany Fountain, so I went there to see what was going on. The model was again getting all fixed up. Her appearance actually shows two things about Hungarian dress. Women truly do wear fancy hats, particularly when I first came and the weather was colder. They also wear very high heels, 4 inchers, with very pointed toes. It just makes my feet hurt to look at them.

The model, however, was not involved in what I observed next. The Zsolany Fountain was actually running and there were many flower pots around it. The shot was of a couple meeting and then hugging each other in greeting. Later this afternoon the flower pots are all gone and the fountain is dry, so perhaps this will be only time I see the fountain running.

Took a walk this evening and while I was out a truck came and picked up all the plants for the Ter as well. Glad in many ways that my usual walk takes me through this area for there is something different going on every day.

The walk was sort of a celebration. I've been working hard on creating the course I have to teach next week, and am down to about one hour of work. That is do-able tomorrow.

And tomorrow afternoon I go to Szombathely for two days. The Faculty of Health Science is having a Scientific Conference there. The Faculty teaches in four different cities in Hungary and this conference rotates from one place to the next and so that's why I'm going to Szombathely. It is almost on the Austrian border, probably a 3 hour bus ride at least.

The blog may be silent. I do not think I'll drag my computer along with me. And I'll hope for a hotel room with a TV. That would be a nice change.

No comments: