Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter in Pecs

as seen through my eyes.

I didn't see much going on so I took a walk about 12:00. I decided to head towards the basilica. When I got there it was very quiet. The only thing going on in the church was some one selling tickets for a tour of the church. I didn't feel like doing that today. I found a cute scene above.

I continued on my walk and saw beautiful flowers and trees in bloom. I liked the way the red tulips contrasted with this monument which is called ProPatria and relates to 1941-45. The sidewalk cafes were full and many people were walking with ice cream cones.

I stopped at a  new place that opened in the past week. I have walked by this building all the time I've lived here wondering why such a beautiful building was closed. Then the ice cream shop opened up. Maybe the owners spend the winter sailing off the Greek Islands! This ice cream is one of the reasons I'll miss Pecs when it is time to leave.

I spent some time trying to prepare some lectures for the future weeks. About dusk I decided to go out for walk and see what is going on. I found mass just ending at one of the churches at Szechenyi Ter. As I approached I noticed some men gathered around the door. It gave me just a pause, but how much trouble can one get into at the door of a church? I stepped in to the foyer to see it, for churches are always closed in Pecs. Just then mass ended, so I stepped out the church and backed up to the construction fence about Szechenyi Ter. I then realized the people leaving church give a bit of change to the men gathered around the church. As I waiting a young woman walks up and greets me by name and asked me if I needed help. I told her I was fine and she wishes me Happy Easter. I have no idea who this was, probably someone who was in a class to which I gave a guest lecture. Hard to remember everyone that you see just once! And a bit of a sign that Pecs is one of those big small cities -- meaning a city of 160,000 feels like a small town.

I noticed the people leaving were not dressed up much. No "In your Easter Bonnet!" It is amazing how much Easter varies from culture to culture.

After most people had left, I entered again for a good look. This is a truly beautiful church with very usual paintings in the church. I do hope I find it open again sometime when it possible to take some photos.

Now to wander around tomorrow to find out what Easter Monday is all about. Most stores have a sign up saying they will be closed, but I'm certain all the restaurants will again be open for the people walking about.

No comments: