Friday, April 30, 2010

Szeged Trip

On Tuesday I left with Thomas to go to Szeged. The topography changes from the hills/low mountains here in Pecs to an area that is very, very flat. We arrived near Szeged about 13:00. We stopped a what looked like a shopping center and indeed found a food court where we had lunch. Meanwhile Thomas was contacting the museum he came to met about meeting there.

We got there in about 20 minutes. We found that the staff had meetings for him all afternoon, so I walked up to the nearby hotel where I had a reservation. It was a fine hotel and in a good location about 3 blocks from the museum and also near the center of Szeged.

Let's start with the Tisza River. A flood on this river in 1879 basically demolished Szeged. This area is like northwest Minnesota, very flat, so the water could go over a great area easily. The city was build again carefully to have wide streets and many park areas.

Here is a street scene. Notice there are not many cars. Bikes are big here. I walked a few blocks and found the Szechenyi Ter in this city.

This is the Town Hall on the west side of the Ter.


One thing I wished to find was the synogogue for it called the most beautiful Jewish house of worship in Hungary. That is true.

The dome is to representing Infinity and Faith.

The synogogue also has beautiful stained windows.

Above the altar area.

Walking back towards the museum I found the sidewalk cafe area of Szeged.  I walked back to the museum to its sidewalk area and waited for Thomas until his meetings were done. We found a nice place for dinner. I went back to the hotel and went to bed quite early because I was not feeling well.

The next morning I walked down to the Dom Ter. The Ter has the Dom on north side and the other sides had statues of Hungary people. Many elementary age students were in this area with paper assignments.

I went back to the museum and looked around. I could not enter the special area that Thomas told me about. By this time I was feeling more bad then the day before. I had to teach the next day for the whole day, and decided to go back to Pecs early so I rest. I got a bus at 13:00 and got back to Pecs at 17:15. Riding a public bus in Hungary is just fine. The bus is very comfortable and stopped a couple of times, mostly so that people could smoke!

Walking home I could a surprise. The fountains by the Szinhaz were running.

I'm off now for some shopping because tomorrow is a holiday.

No comments: