Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Day of Surprises

I couldn't sleep last night and was up until 2:00. When that happens it becomes harder to sleep as one thinks about all the things that must be done the next day. However, the first surprise came when I got up and found I didn't feel as bad as I thought I might.

I went to the office for my Hungarian lesson, but my teacher didn't come. About 30 minutes later she called and said she would be there soon. When she arrived I found all had been held up by a meeting with the Dean. My ability to write sentences in Hungarian is about 50%. I had the right verbs,  but often the wrong form or had the words organized in the sentence incorrectly. I'll be able to do something with the language about the time I leave!

Walking back to my office I found the above beautiful sight.

I had to do a lecture for MSN students about the U.S. Health Reform effort. This is my third lecture with this group and I like them very much. Some of them may participate in the class I teach later this week for doctoral students. On my way I ducked into a courtyard and found the above beautiful view of spring.

Came home and tried to stay awake to do a English lesson for my upstairs neighbor.

About 6 PM a thunderstorm blew in. The sky got dark and the thunder really rumbled. I had tickets for a concert and wasn't happy to see the stormy weather. However, by 6:30 the storm had blown over so I started out.

I was rewarded with unusual sights as the bright sun now lit buildings against the stormy sky. This is the Lyceum Church. I see the tops of the church spires from my flat.

The concert was a klezmer group. First it was wonderful to hear different sounds. And the group were terrific musicians and great show persons. They made it feel like a great big party. This is, without doubt, about the best $3.75 I've ever spent. I got a karamel ice cream cone at the shop next to the theatre.

It is only three blocks home, but when I turned off Kiraly I got another surprise. It was really, really dark. The storm must have knocked the street lights. The streets are usually lit as if it was day. I have no qualms at all about walking around Pecs by myself at night. I managed to get the right key in the lock and thankfully there is electricity inside the flat.

Now I'm going to crash, because last night wasn't restful at all.

No comments: